Thames Ditton, St Nicholas
Practice Night: None
Ringing Times: Sunday Service: 9.30-10.00am
Contact: Tower Contact: Pamela Rider email@example.com
The Church is first mentioned around 1120 as belonging to Merton Priory. The bell tower and part of the chancel wall remain from this period. At least six stages of extensions, including a major though sympathetic re-building in Victorian times, result in the building we see today. Of special interest are the font (early Norman) and the Doom painting above the chancel arch. Three bells are mentioned in an inventory in 1552; the ring was increased to six in 1753-4 by Thomas Swaine of Longford. The bells were re-cast in 1962 by Taylor’s and re-hung in a new hardwood frame in 1980.