Outwood, St John the Baptist
Practice Night: By arrangement, email below.
Ringing Times: Ringing times: By arrangement, email below.
Entry: Gallery ring, entrance is via the vestry door at the east end of the church. Stairs at the west end of the church go up to the ringing room
Contact: Tower Captain, Tom Sutton - firstname.lastname@example.org
The church was built in 1869 to the design of Burges in a plain lancet style and is unaltered since this date apart from the tower. It comprises a nave of five bays and chancel with a broad, square tower at the west end, added in 1876 by W P Manning. Access to the belfry is via an octagonal turret built into the south east corner of the tower; it does not extend beyond this level. There is a combined clergy and choir vestry adjacent to the north side of the chancel with a catslide roof over. There is an open porch on the south side of the nave.
The church is founded on heavy clay and stands in a small graveyard close to the north side of Brickfield Road, a mile or so from the village. It is bounded on three sides by dense woodland.