Index‎ > ‎

Esher, Christ Church

Esher Green, Esher, KT10 8AA    Find on map
Number of bells: 8
Tenor Weight: 7 cwt
Ground floor ring: No




District: Southern
Practice Night: Wednesday
Ringing Times: Practice: 7.30-9.00pm (check). 
Entry: Entry is via the church door by the Bishop John Gladwin dedication  stone, with the door into the tower within the new extension.
Contact: Please email the tower secretary via the sdsec@surreybellringers.org.uk  Southern District Secretary



The old Church in Esher was in poor repair and too small to serve the parish, and whilst the new church replaced the old, St. George’s remains in an un-restored state to this day. Christ Church, consecrated on 4th May 1854, is a yellow brick and stone building on the west side of the High Street behind the shops, and opposite Esher Green. The tall elegant spire with its glorious golden cockerel weathervane can be seen clearly from many of the approach roads to the town. There are monuments to Richard Drake, brother of Sir Francis, to Prince Leopold and other connections to nearby Claremont House where Queen Victoria spent part of her childhood. The old Church in Esher was in poor repair and too small to serve the parish, and whilst the new church replaced the old, St. George’s remains in an un-restored state to this day. Christ Church, consecrated on 4th May 1854, is a yellow brick and stone building on the west side of the High Street behind the shops, and opposite Esher Green. The tall elegant spire with its glorious golden cockerel weathervane can be seen clearly from many of the approach roads to the town. There are monuments to Richard Drake, brother of Sir Francis, to Prince Leopold and other connections to nearby Claremont House where Queen Victoria spent part of her childhood. The original six bells cast by Charles and George Mears in 1853, were hung in a wooden frame and packed tightly into the bell chamber above the ringing room and augmented to eight in 1952.